What is a baby massage for?
Do you think that massage is useful and pleasant only for adults? It has a positive effect on health from infancy! The therapeutic and health-improving procedure improves the functions of the heart muscles and respiratory functions, normalizes nervous processes and prevents various health problems. Children’s massage is required for problems of internal organs – hernia, flat feet, hypertonicity or hypotonia of muscles.
Before starting the procedure, the doctor communicates with the baby, tries to cheer him up. With a child massage, the same techniques are practiced as with an adult, but the massage therapist performs all movements smoothly and accurately, without sudden movements and strong pressure. Another benefit of massage for children is a good mood: kids are delighted with this procedure.
Types of baby massage
There are three types of massage for children:
- Healing. It is required for various pathological conditions and is needed to solve health problems. The massage should be prescribed by a pediatric doctor – surgeon, neuropathologist, orthopedist, they begin to do it from 2-3 months of age.
- Correctional. With the help of such a massage, the doctor consolidates the result that was achieved with the help of the therapeutic one. It is also appointed by specialists and is performed only by a professional massage therapist.
- Prophylactic. This massage can be done at any age: it stimulates the nervous, circulatory and muscular systems of the baby, helps to gain weight, improve appetite and strengthen the immune system.
Parents can also massage the child. You need to do this carefully and use the following techniques:
- stroking. As a result, blood circulation improves, muscles relax. Stroking is a good way to start a massage, to prepare a child for the procedure;
- trituration. It is necessary for muscle hypertonicity: rubbing improves blood circulation, stabilizes the nervous system, warms up and soothes the muscles;
- kneading. These are the same movements as when rubbing, but with pressure on the muscles. It is best to knead in a circular motion;
- vibrating movements. Improves metabolism and tone the skin and muscles.
Children’s massage is carried out in a course of 10-15 sessions every day or every 1-2 days.
Baby massage: what to consider?
To ensure that the wellness procedure does not harm the child, please note that:
- you need to contact only qualified masseurs. Choose a doctor with good reviews, great experience;
- consider contraindications. It is impossible to carry out the procedure at a high temperature, exacerbated skin diseases, infectious diseases. Therefore, before the course, you need to consult a doctor;
- pay attention to the child’s behavior. If he does not like the massage, he cries and is capricious, then it is better to postpone the session.
Do not feed your baby before and after the massage. Do not have rings or long nails on your hands, which can accidentally damage the child’s skin.