Ways to maintain health for everyday
In 1948, the World Health Organization defined “health” as follows:
“Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not just the absence of disease or ailment.”
Benefits of Healthy Habits
Everyone knows from childhood that healthy habits like eating wholesome food and exercising are good. But have you ever wondered why specifically you should practice these habits? Healthy habits are any behavior that benefits your physical, mental, and emotional health. That is, they improve your overall well-being.
Healthy habits are difficult to develop and often require a change in mindset. But if you are willing to make sacrifices to improve your health, the results will delight you for years, regardless of your gender, age and physical ability. Here are five benefits of a healthy lifestyle:
- Weight control. Eating right and exercising regularly can help you avoid excess weight gain.
- Improved mood . Physical activity stimulates the production of endorphins. Endorphins are brain chemicals that make a person feel happier and calmer. In addition, a healthy lifestyle helps to improve the physique. Consequently, you will begin to feel better about your appearance, which can boost your self-confidence. There are also short-term benefits of exercise – improved cognition and reduced stress .
- Disease prevention . Regular exercise helps to strengthen the cardiovascular system and immunity. Thus, you will be able to prevent many diseases. But remember the importance of consulting your doctor first.
- Increased energy . We all feel lethargic after eating too much junk food. On the contrary, when we eat a balanced diet, our body receives the fuel it needs to carry out daily tasks. And regular physical activity contributes to the timely delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the tissues, improves muscle strength and increases endurance, giving a person more energy.
- Life extension. When you practice healthy habits, you increase your chances of a longer life. In the United States, a study was conducted for 8 years, in which 13,000 people took part. Research has shown that people who walk only 30 minutes a day significantly reduced the likelihood of premature death compared to those who walked infrequently [ The American Council on Exercise, 2009 ]. What about more serious physical activity?
The benefits of living a healthy lifestyle are obvious, but it’s not easy to get started. You won’t change your thinking and behavior overnight, so be patient and incorporate healthy habits into your life gradually.
Ways to maintain health for every day
The best way to stay healthy is to maintain it every day with a healthy lifestyle, rather than waiting for illness or illness to force you to deal with serious problems.
Of course, it is impossible to 100% protect yourself from disease. Nevertheless, one must do everything possible to develop resilience and prepare the body and mind to cope with diseases as they arise.
There are many different ways to maintain your health. Below are the 8 most important and simple things you can do every day to live a happy, healthy life.
Eat a healthy and balanced diet
Food is the fuel that keeps your body toned. At the same time, food can also be a poison, slowly destroying you. It all depends not only on what you eat, but also on how much and how often you eat.
There is a common misconception that fruits and vegetables are the only ingredients in a healthy diet. No doubt they are very important, but they are not the only healthy foods. In fact, eating healthy is all about balancing key food groups, which also include protein, fat and carbohydrates.
The principles of a balanced diet:
- Eat a variety of nutrient-dense foods. The body needs over 40 different nutrients. Your daily food choices should include good carbs, protein, and healthy fats (nuts, fish, olives, avocados, etc.)
- Eat moderate portions. Keeping your portion size in moderation will make it easier for you to stick to your favorite foods and eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- Don’t skip meals. Skipping breakfast or lunch can lead to uncontrollable hunger and often leads to overeating afterwards. In addition, skipping breakfast can raise blood sugar levels, which increases body fat storage. Snacking in between regular meals can save you under time pressure, but you should have at least two balanced meals a day.
- Don’t cut out certain foods from your diet. Since our body needs a varied diet, it is a bad idea to eliminate all salt, fat and sugar from the diet unless directed by your healthcare provider. Choosing healthier options, such as low-fat dairy products, can help you maintain a balanced diet.
Eating a balanced diet is also important to avoid improperly processed foods. There is a good reason it is called unhealthy food. Fast food, for example, fills your body with unhealthy toxins and excess fat. So instead of a slice of pizza and cola, opt for a casserole and freshly squeezed juice.
Leading an active lifestyle is another great way to maintain your health. Exercise helps not only your body but your mind and has many benefits.
Experts recommend doing at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity every week. To exercise regularly, choose activities that you really enjoy. This can be yoga, running, swimming, etc. Examples of medium intensity activities:
- fast walk;
- aqua aerobics;
- calm cycling.
If you can’t make as much time as possible to exercise, look for easy ways to increase your activity throughout the day. For example, try walking instead of using private or public transport, walking up stairs instead of using the elevator, or walking around your apartment while you’re on the phone. It is important to try to be active during the day.
Being healthy is not only about having a strong and healthy body. As we noted earlier, taking care of the mind is also part of the concept of health. Research has shown that stress and depression can actually manifest as physical illnesses. One of the manifestations is through a decrease in immunity.
There are many ways to deal with stress :
- Workout. Exercise promotes the release of “happiness hormones” – endorphins.
- Mental self-regulation. With the help of simple methods of mental self-regulation, a person is able to manage stress. For example, appropriate affirmations can help you program your mind to handle any problem with ease.
- Meditation. Relaxing practices also allow you to calm your mind – meditate in any suitable way. Even a massage or a relaxing bath can help.
- Professional help. Sometimes it takes a little more willpower to solve mental problems. So consider seeing a counselor if you find it difficult to deal with your depression on your own.
Keep your body and mind in good shape. Only then can you talk about good health.
Improve your sleep quality
For the most part, taking care of your body is your job. However, there are several functions that your body performs on its own. One of them is sleep . This autonomous state allows the body to rest and recover. Your task is not to interfere with your body. Just keep track of the quality and quantity of sleep.
According to the non-profit charitable organization Sleep Foundation, teenagers need 8-10 hours of sleep, adults aged 18 to 64 need 7-9 hours of sleep, and people over 65 need at least 7-8 hours.
Sleep quality, on the other hand, depends on many factors – the ability to fall asleep quickly, maintain deep sleep, and external influences.
You can improve your sleep quality by:
- avoid consuming coffee, energy drinks, or other brain stimulants in the afternoon;
- provide yourself with the most quiet and comfortable sleeping place;
- Do not expose yourself to bright light before bed, as this interferes with the production of the sleep hormone melatonin.
These actions will help you sleep better and recuperate effectively.
Maintain social relationships
Another unique but highly effective way to maintain health is through social interactions.
Socializing and being romantically involved helps mental health in the same way as exercise. In addition to endorphins, spending time with loved ones increases the levels of adrenaline and oxytocin in the body. These biochemicals help improve mood and overall health.
Establish any social connections – volunteering, joining a hobby club, or attending social events – all this will cheer you up and your psyche will function normally. Don’t isolate yourself. It really works.
Keep your brain in good shape
The brain, like a muscle, needs constant exercise to stay toned. The central nervous system controls all processes in the body, from digestion and assimilation of food, to movement and even breathing. The brain is at the very center of this complex system and therefore needs care.
Brain training also helps develop the cognitive function. This means improved alertness, concentration, memory, and even problem-solving ability.
One way to keep your brain healthy is to give it your favorite foods. These include healthy fats like omega-3s, vitamins, minerals, and of course water. You can also keep your brain healthy by challenging it. Read a book, solve a puzzle, or whatever, any activity can keep your brain healthy. The main thing is that it must be systematic.
Drink plenty of water
Water is literally the source of life. It has many benefits when it comes to healthy living. One of them is the fact that water helps to cleanse the body not only from the outside but also from the inside. A purified organism can demonstrate maximum performance.
Experts still argue about the rate of water consumption per day, so the often recommended eight glasses of water per day (2 liters) is not a panacea for everyone. Different people have different needs. But still, you need to drink at least 2 liters, otherwise, the body will experience dehydration.
Get routine medical examinations
Don’t forget about regular medical check-ups. It doesn’t matter if you are 20, 40 or 70. Examinations allow you to identify and quickly cope with diseases in the early stages. Cancer and infections are much more difficult to treat if they are detected too late. Therefore, plan regular visits to doctors to be sure of your health.
Do not follow the principles of healthy lifestyle from time to time, it is ineffective. The best way to take advantage of these tips is to incorporate them into your daily schedule.
Maintaining your health on a daily basis is a snap. However, the main objection for many people on the path to good health is the lack of time. If you also think that the current pace of life does not allow you to allocate time for healthy habits, we recommend that you take our online Time Management program, where in just 5 weeks of training you will master the most effective techniques for allocating your time.