How to properly care for your eyes
The human eye weighs 8 grams. But saving that precious 16 grams can sometimes take a lot of effort. Although for most people, for a long and happy vision, you need to follow very simple hygiene rules, which we will talk about today.
- We wash our faces according to science. Eye care is primarily the prevention of infectious diseases. How to wash your eyes correctly?
- To wash hands.
- Wash at least twice a day.
- You can wash your eyes with clean running water or a decoction of chamomile, mint, sage.
- When washing, you do not need to close your eyes tightly, water should fall not only on the eyelids, but also on the eyeballs!
- Dry yourself with an individual towel.
- You can also wipe your eyes with a cotton pad moistened with water or a decoction of herbs. The direction of movement is from the temple to the inner corner of the eye. There is a separate cotton pad for each eye.
- We do not harm ourselves with makeup. The first main rule is not to go to bed with makeup. Cosmetics can clog the sebaceous and lacrimal glands, irritate the mucous membranes, and lead to inflammation. Also, use a cleanser intended for the eyes, do not use someone else’s cosmetics, and regularly wash brushes and sponges.
- We are distracted from the screen. Yes, yes, as my grandmother advised. 50 minutes of work – 10 minutes break for looking out the window. The gaze needs to be focused first on distant, then on near objects. You can also close your eyes and massage them easily. The task is to relax as much as possible. The distance from the smartphone to the face must be at least 40 centimeters.
- We don’t sit in the dark. In the twilight, the eyes will dry, the eye muscles will overextend. If the light is too bright, your eyes get tired quickly. The light should be spread evenly throughout the room. There should be an additional lamp at the workplace – on the left.
- We wear sunglasses. To prevent ultraviolet rays from damaging the retina. The goggles help reduce eye strain in bright daylight and protect them from wind and dust.
- We protect our eyes from injuries, bruises, foreign bodies. It is important to observe safety precautions, to use safety glasses at work in hazardous conditions and when practicing extreme sports.
- We moisturize. Room temperature comfortable for the cornea is 18–22 ° С and humidity 45–60%. For dry eye, moisturizing drops can be used.
- We do not ignore the doctor. If there are no vision problems, once a year you need to go to an ophthalmologist for prophylaxis. For those who wear glasses or lenses – for the selection of correction means. And if you notice that your vision has deteriorated, there is discomfort, a feeling of sand in the eyes and other symptoms, you should not delay going to the doctor or self-medicate, but undergo a vision diagnosis.
Useful gadgets for the eyes
Gadgets can not only harm vision, but also work to preserve it. Let’s talk about some modern eye helpers.
- Massage glasses. Manufacturers promise that they will improve blood flow in the eye area, tone muscles, and normalize eye pressure.
- Relax glasses will help relieve eye fatigue, relax the eye muscles.
- Training glasses, perforating. Thanks to the holes, they do not allow the eye muscles to atrophy, they train them.
- Mobile applications “Eye acuity test” and “iKulist”, with the help of which you can test your vision and identify possible violations of visual function.
- Programs with complexes of useful exercises for the eyes: EyeCorrector, Vision +.
If you wear contact lenses:
- do not use lenses for more than 19 hours;
- do not sleep with lenses;
- do not swim in lenses;
- wear lenses according to the manufacturer’s instructions and doctor’s recommendation;
- wash your hands before putting on or removing lenses;
- give up lenses if you catch a cold, when the body is weakened and dehydrated – during these periods the eyes dry out anyway, opening the way for infections.
If you wear glasses:
- use glasses of actual diopters;
- keep the lenses of your glasses always clean;
- change glasses every 2-3 years – scratches on the glasses harm your eyes.
Have a positive effect on eye health:
- balanced diet;
- rejection of bad habits;
- adherence to the daily routine;
- full sleep;
- eye gymnastics.