How to care for teeth after implantation?
After dental implantation, 5% of patients experience problems with the implants such as inflammation, persistent pain, or even the need to reinstall the implant. Do you want to be one of them? Then follow the rules for caring for your teeth after implantation, and there will be no unpleasant consequences.
The main recommendations relate to food intake. Immediately after the procedure, do not eat for two hours, after which:
- for 2-3 weeks, do not eat solid, hot or cold food, which requires effort to chew, your option is soft and warm food;
- rinse your teeth regularly – baths with an antiseptic solution, but only after removing the stitches, and do not brush your teeth the first day after the operation;
- chew only on the side opposite from the sutures (operation);
- sleep on several pillows so that your head is as high as possible.
After the operation, it is advisable to avoid physical exertion, overheating and hypothermia.
If implants are installed in the upper jaw:
- sneeze and cough gently, do not open your mouth wide,
- try not to blow your nose,
- avoid diving and flying for 3 weeks.
Other recommendations will be given to you by a dentist before the dental prosthetics procedure in Minsk .
What should be considered when implanting teeth?
Caring for implants is not much different from the usual hygiene rules, but there are several features:
- the implant suprastructure (the part protruding above the gum) must be cleaned with dental floss or a soft brush;
- brush your teeth regularly, otherwise the tissues surrounding the implant quickly become inflamed: it lacks biological ligaments, like teeth with gums;
- it is advisable to brush your teeth in the morning and in the evening, as well as every time after a meal and additionally apply chlorhexidine gel;
- after the procedure, the doctor must be visited 1-2 times a week in order to adjust the treatment if necessary;
- After installing orthopedic crowns, we recommend purchasing an irrigator for better hygiene in the implantation area.
You can use regular and electric brushes with soft bristles. After operation:
- in the first 2-3 days, slight bleeding and pink saliva may appear. If the bleeding is prolonged and becomes profuse, you should immediately consult a doctor;
- the temperature can rise and be kept for 2-3 days. You need to go to the hospital if it exceeds 38 degrees and does not subside for more than three days.
How to prepare for the procedure?
Before dental implantation :
- do not take aspirin and other medicines that thin the blood, as they can cause severe bleeding;
- cure all your teeth, be sure to carry out professional oral hygiene so as not to infect with the implant;
- go through all the examinations and pass the necessary tests, which will be prescribed by the doctor.
The procedure takes 1-2 hours. After completion, the dentist will tell you how to care for your oral cavity in the postoperative period.